Barry Gardiner MP, Shadow Secretary of State for International Trade, is seeking to recruit an experienced and highly capable policy specialist to support his International Trade brief.
The ideal candidate for this specialist role will have detailed academic or professional experience of international trade policy, trade law, trade negotiations and/or international institututions.
The position will involve:
- Undertaking complex research and legal analysis;
- Drafting speeches, blog posts and articles;
- Drafting parliamentary questions;
- Preparing briefing notes on policy issues; and
- Monitoring and scrutinising key policy developments.
- Excellent written and oral skills;
- Excellent analytical and research skills;
- Excellent IT skills;
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills;
- Ability to work to tight deadlines in a busy environment;
- Ability to identify priorities and work independently.
- Degree in government/public policy/law/International relations;
- Sympathy with the aims of the Labour party;
- Demonstrable knowledge of at least one of the following policy areas: Europe, International Trade.
- The position is based in Westminster, however, occasional travel to the constituency and conferences may be required.
The position is open to UK and EU nationals.
Barry Gardiner MP is an equal opportunity employer with a diverse workforce. We provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to gender, ethnic background, age, religion or sexual orientation.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
The ideal candidate for this specialist role will have detailed academic or professional experience of international trade policy, trade law, trade negotiations and/or international institutions.
30 October 2016
In line with IPSA payscales and commensurate with experience.
INTERVIEW & START DATE:
Interviews will take place at Westminster during immediately upon closing and include a written test. If you need any special arrangements to be made please raise this when in advance.
Successful candidates will be expected to start as soon as possible.
Please send Curriculum Vitae and covering letter addressed to Barry Gardiner by email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating clearly "Application - Parliamentary Researcher & Policy Specialist - Name Surname" in the subject line.
Due to the high volume of expected applications, we regret we shall only be able to provide feedback to those unsuccessful candidates who have been shortlisted.